Friday, November 6, 2009

Your Flu Questions Answered


Flu. It's been a heck of a flu season so far. This one will definitely be going down in the books. Thought I would share with you some of the most common concerns and information I have heard through this flu season.

Is the H1N1 vaccine safe?
Absolutely. I understand your hesitance. I too was reluctant initially. However, I never recommend a vaccine or procedure or medicine until I have done my own research. The H1N1 vaccine is made identically like seasonal flu vaccine. The CDC says that if H1N1 flu had appeared earlier - the strain most likely would have been contained in the season flu vaccine. Because of the declaration of pandemic flu, National Institutes of Health and the manufacturers were allowed to have fewer testing and clinical trials - BUT they chose not to and even conducted higher scrutiny tests than required for typical production. Millions have taken the vaccine without any complication or severe side effects... well except for that curly tail they grew.... KIDDING! Rest assured, the H1N1 vaccine is safe. My entire family has taken it.

If I have already had the H1N1 flu, do I need the vaccine?
Yes. Although you may have some immunity to reinfection, the vaccine will help boost your immunity to the H1n1 flu.

How quickly will the vaccine work?
8-12 days.

When can I get a seasonal flu vaccine?
As H1N1 vaccine production slows, season vaccine production should increase. At the health department we expect shipments of seasonal flu after Thanksgiving. Seasonal flu typically peaks in February. So December is plenty of time to get your seasonal flu vaccine.

I am over 64 years old, why can't I get a H1N1 vaccine?
Right now, the research is showing that young adults and children are having worse complications of H1N1 flu. Since vaccine is in limited quantity, it is imperative to vaccinate the groups at highest risk initially. I anticipate the age restrictions to be lifted soon.

Where can I get a H1N1 vaccine?
Tulsa Area
Statewide Locations

For reliable information about the flu, visit www.flu.gov

Hope this helps - feel free to send me any questions or concerns you might have.

No comments: